Color Coat Stucco Specification
PORTLAND CEMENT PLASTER
(MERLEX EXTERIOR STUCCO)
Part 1 - General
A. Section Includes: Portland cement plaster base and finish coat systems.
B. Related Sections:
1. Section ________ ___________________ . Wall substrate surface.
2. Section 07920Joint Sealants.
3. Section 08310Access Doors
4. Section 09205Furring and Lathing
INCLUDE APPROPRIATE LANGUAGE BELOW IF PRODUCTS SPECIFIED IN THIS SECTION ARE TO BE BID AS
ALTERNATES. OTHERWISE DELETE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH.
C. Alternates: 1. Reference Section 01230Alternates.
A. Reference Section 01330Submittal Procedures; submit following items:
1. Product Data.
a. Initial Color Selection: Brochure showing manufacturer's full color range; 30 colors minimum.
b. Final Color Verification: 3x3 inch (75x75 mm) [sand] [Santa Barbara] [ ______________ ] finished sample of actual finish coat material.
3. Quality Assurance/Control Submittals:
a. Qualifications: Premixed finish coat manufacturer and applicator qualification data.
b. Manufacturer's application instructions for premixed finish coat.
1.03 Quality Assurance
A. Overall Standards: Comply with [Plaster and Drywall Systems Manual] [PCA Plaster (Stucco) Manual] except as otherwise specified herein.
1. Manufacturer Qualifications: Minimum five years experience in producing cement plaster of the type specified.
2. Applicator Qualifications: Licensed plaster contractor
C. Field Samples: Provide field sample(s) in [a] location[s] selected by Architect showing each finished color selected and texture specified.
1. Minimum Size: ___x___ feet ( ___x___ m).
2. Approved samples may remain as part of completed Work.
IF FOLLOWING MOCK-UP IS SPECIFIED, VERIFY THAT FURRING AND LATHING SECTION ALSO INCLUDES INSTALLATION OF LATH ON MOCK-UP.
D. Mock-Ups: Apply specified plaster system to substrate material mock-up and obtain Architect's approval of completed mock-up prior to proceeding with application.
1.04 Delivery, Storage, and Handling
A. Reference Section 01660Product Storage and Handling Requirements.
B. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
1.05 Project/SITE Conditions
A. Environmental Requirements:
1. Base Coat(s): Maintain minimum ambient temperature of 50 degrees F (10 degrees C) during application and for 48 hours following application.
2. Finish Coat: Maintain minimum ambient temperature of 40 degrees F (4 degrees C) during application and for 24 hours following application.
Part 2 - Products
A. Materials as Noted: Merlex Stucco, Inc. (Merlex) 2911 Orange-Olive Road Orange, CA 92865 Tel: (714) 637-1700 Fax: (714) 637-4865
INSERT NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBERS OF LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE BELOW.
B. Substitutions: None permitted.
A. Base Coat(s):
1. Cement: [ASTM C 150, Type [I] [IA] [II] [IIA] [III] [IIIA] [ASTM C 91].
2. Lime: ASTM C 206, Type S] [ASTM C 207, Type S].
3. Aggregate: [ASTM C 897] [ASTM C 144] [PCA Plaster (Stucco) Manual].
4. Admixture: Merlex [Acrylex].
5. Mix Reinforcement: 1/2 inch (13 mm) long, alkali resistant, glass fibers.
B. Water: Potable.
C. Premixed Finish Coat: Merlex Color Coat Stucco.
1. Aggregate: [16/20] [20/30].
2. Color: [As selected by Architect from manufacturer's standard range] [Custom color as selected by Architect].
3. Admixture: Merlex [Acrylex] [Water Block].
C. Premixed Finish Coat: Merlex Santa Barbara Finish Color Coat Stucco.
1. Color: [As selected by Architect from manufacturer's standard range] [Custom color as selected by Architect].
2. Admixture: Merlex [Acrylex] [Water Block].
A. Base Coat(s): Mix and proportion materials in accordance with ASTM C 926, Type [C] [CM] [L] [M] [CP] [P].
B. Finish Coat: Follow manufacturer's instructions.
C. Mix only as much plaster as can be used prior to initial set.
D. Mix materials dry, to uniform consistency, prior to adding water.
E. Add admixtures in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
Part 3 - Execution
A. Examine substrates upon which work will be installed.
1. Masonry: Verify joints are cut flush and that masonry has not been treated with water repellent coatings.
2. Concrete: Verify surfaces are flat, honeycombs filled flush and that surface has not been treated with water repellent coatings.
B. Coordinate with responsible entity to perform corrective work on unsatisfactory substrates.
C. Commencement of work by installer is acceptance of substrate.
A. Dampen masonry surfaces.
B. Clean concrete surfaces of foreign matter using acid solutions, solvents, or detergents. Wash with clean water.
3.03 PLASTER APPLICATION
A. Base Coats: Apply in accordance with ASTM C 926
1. Apply brown coat to a nominal thickness of [3/8 inch (9 mm)] [ ____ inch ( ____ mm) over [masonry] [and] [concrete] [metal lath] surfaces.
2. Apply scratch coat to a nominal thickness of [3/8 inch (9 mm)] [ ____ inch ( ____ mm) and brown coat, immediately following initial set of scratch coat, to a nominal thickness of [3/8 inch (9 mm)] [ ____ inch ( ____ mm) over metal lath surfaces.
B. Curing: Moist cure base coat for 48 hours minimum.
C. Finish Coat, Color Coat Stucco: Follow manufacturer's instructions for application by the following method to a total thickness of approximately 1/8 inch (3 mm) minimum.
1. Hand Trowel Application. a. Texture: [Light Lace] [Heavy Lace] [Monterey] [Fine Sand Float] [Medium Sand Float] [Heavy Sand Float] [ ______________ ] [As shown on Drawings].
1. Spray Application. a. Texture: [Light Machine Dash] [Medium Machine Dash] [Heavy Machine Dash] [Machine Dash Knockdown] [ _____________ ] [As shown on Drawings].
C. Finish Coat, Santa Barbara Finish Color Coat Stucco: Follow manufacturer's instructions for trowel or spray application to a total thickness of approximately 1/8 inch (3 mm) minimum and as required to achieve a semi-smooth irregular texture:
3.04 Field Quality Control
A. Tolerances: Maximum variation from true plane: 1/8 inch (3 mm) in 10 feet (3 m).
A. Clean spills and spatters before material is allowed to dry.
B. Keep premises free from accumulation of waste and debris. Upon completion of work, remove surplus materials, waste and debris from site.
End of Section