Poly Prep Specification
POLYSTYRENE ARCHITECTURAL TRIM AND FINISH SYSTEM
(MERLEX poly prep EPS BONDING CEMENT AND EXTERIOR STUCCO FINSIH)
GENERAL NOTES TO SPECIFIER: THIS SPECIFICATION SECTION HAS BEEN PREPARED TO ASSIST DESIGN PROFESSIONALS IN THE PREPARATION OF PROJECT OR OFFICE MASTER SPECIFICATIONS. IT FOLLOWS GUIDELINES ESTABLISHED BY THE CONSTRUCTION SPECIFICATIONS INSTITUTE, AND THEREFORE MAY BE USED WITH MOST MASTER SPECIFICATION SYSTEMS WITH MINOR EDITING. EDIT CAREFULLY TO SUIT PROJECT REQUIREMENTS. MODIFY AS NECESSARY AND DELETE ITEMS THAT ARE NOT APPLICABLE. VERIFY THAT REFERENCED SECTION NUMBERS AND TITLES ARE CORRECT. (NUMBERS AND TITLES REFERENCED ARE BASED ON MASTERFORMAT, 1995 EDITION). THIS SECTION ASSUMES THE PROJECT MANUAL WILL CONTAIN COMPLETE DIVISION 1 DOCUMENTS INCLUDING SECTIONS 01330-SUBMITTAL PROCEDURES, 01620-PRODUCT OPTIONS, 01630-PRODUCT SUBSTITUTION PROCEDURES, 01660-PRODUCT STORAGE AND HANDLING REQUIREMENTS, 01770-CLOSEOUT PROCEDURES, AND 01780-CLOSEOUT SUBMITTALS. CLOSE COORDINATION WITH DIVISION 1 SECTIONS IS REQUIRED. IF THE PROJECT MANUAL DOES NOT CONTAIN THESE SECTIONS, ADDITIONAL INFORMATION SHOULD BE INCLUDED UNDER THE APPROPRIATE ARTICLES. NOTES TO THE SPECIFIER ARE CONTAINED IN BOXES AND SHOULD BE DELETED FROM FINAL COPY. OPTIONAL ITEMS REQUIRING SELECTION BY THE SPECIFIER ARE ENCLOSED WITHIN BRACKETS, E.G:   . MAKE APPROPRIATE SELECTIONS AND DELETE OTHERS. ITEMS REQUIRING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ARE UNDERLINED BLANK SPACES, E.G: ___________ . OPTIONAL PARAGRAPHS REQUIRING SELECTION OF ONE OF THE OPTIONS ARE SEPARATED BY "OR" WITHIN A BOX, E.G: OR OPTIONAL PARAGRAPHS AND FEATURES THAT MAY BE SELECTED OR DELETED AS DESIRED ARE SHOWN IN BOLD FACE TYPE. DELETE BOLD FACE TYPE WHEN INCLUDING THESE PARAGRAPHS OR FEATURES.
THIS IS A PROPRIETARY SPECIFICATION FOR MERLEX STUCCO "POLYPREP" EPS BONDING CEMENT AND "EXTERIOR STUCCO" COLOR COAT FINISHES USED TO ADHERE AND COAT EPS FOAM TRIM. IT IS INTENDED FOR USE ON PROJECTS WHERE FOAM TRIM SHAPES ARE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH CONCRETE, MASONRY, PLASTER (STUCCO) AND SIMILAR SURFACES AND WHERE FULL EIFS SPECIFICAITONS ARE NOT INCLUDED. BASIC INSTALLATION PROCEDURES ARE SPECIFIED, HOWEVER, SPECIFIC PROJECT DETAILS MUST BE CONSIDERED WITH INSTALLATION PROCEDURES MODIFIED OR EXPANDED ACCORDINGLY.
Part 1 - General
A. Section Includes: Polystyrene foam trim, adhesive and base coat, reinforcing mesh and finish coat.
B. Related Sections:
INCLUDE SECTION(S) BELOW THAT SPECIFY SUBSTRATE MATERIALS AND MATERIALS THAT ARE ADJACENT TO FOAM TRIM.
1. Section ____________________________.
2. Section ____________________________.
3. Section 07920Joint Sealants
INCLUDE APPROPRIATE LANGUAGE BELOW IF PRODUCTS SPECIFIED IN THIS SECTION ARE TO BE BID AS ALTERNATES. OTHERWISE DELETE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH.
C. Alternates: 1. Reference Section 01230Alternates.
A. Reference Section 01330Submittal Procedures; submit following items:
1. Product Data: Adhesive/base coat, foam trim shapes, reinforcing mesh and finish coat including standard color range available; 30 colors minimum.
2. Shop Drawings: Show complete details, cross sections and dimensions of foam trim. 3. Samples: a. Typical shaped trim section(s), minimum 12 inches (300 mm) long, finished as specified, showing each color and texture selected. Prepare sample(s) using same tools, equipment and techniques intended for project.
4. Quality Assurance/Control Submittals:
a. Qualifications: Adhesive/coating manufacturer and installer qualification data.
b. Adhesive/coating manufacturer's Installation Instructions.
1.03 Quality Assurance
1. Adhesive/Coating Manufacturer Qualifications: Minimum five years experience in producing adhesives and coatings of the type specified.
2. Installer Qualifications: Documented experience in installation of foam trim and lath and plaster systems.
B. Mock-Ups: Install foam trim and coatings on substrate material mockup as directed by Architect using same tools, equipment and techniques intended for project. Provide each color and texture selected for project.
1.04 Delivery, Storage, and Handling
A. Reference Section 01660 Product Storage and Handling Requirements.
B. Follow manufacturers' instructions.
1.05 Project/SITE Conditions
A. Environmental Requirements: Do not apply adhesive or coatings if ambient temperature is above 110 degrees F (92 degrees C) or will fall below 40 degrees F (4 degrees C) within 48 hours of application.
Part 2 - Products
A. Adhesive and Coatings: Merlex Stucco, Inc. (Merlex) 2911 Orange-Olive Road Orange, CA 92865 Tel: (714) 637-1700 Fax: (714) 637-4865
INSERT NAME, ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBERS OF LOCAL REPRESENTATIVE BELOW.
2. Substitutions: None permitted.
COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING IF USING STANDARD FOAM TRIM SHAPES PRODUCED BY A SEPCIFIC MANUFACTURER, AND VERIFY THAT PRODUCT NUMBERS ARE NOTED ON DRAWINGS. OTHERWISE DELETE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH.
B. Polystyrene Foam Trim: _________________ _________________ _________________ ----_________________ ________________
1. Substitutions: Reference Section 01630Product Substitution Procedures.
A. Polystyrene Foam Trim:
ASTM C 578, Type I, and the following additional properties:
Tensile Strength ASTM D 1623 15 psi (103 KPa) minimum
Shear Modulus ASTM C 273 400 psi (2758 KPa) maximum
Flame Spread: ASTM E 84 25 maximum
Smoked Developed: ASTM E 84 450 maximum
1. Shapes: [Standard shapes as indicated by product number shown on Drawings] [and] [custom designs as shown on Drawings].
B. Adhesive: Poly Prep.
C. Base Coat: Poly Prep.
D. Reinforcing Mesh: Alkali resistant, open weave, polypropylene mesh, 2.6 oz/sq yd (88 g/m2) minimum weight.
D. Reinforcing Mesh: Resin coated, open weave, glass fiber mesh treated for compatibility with base coat material; weight: 4.0 oz/sq yd (136 g/m2) minimum weight.
E. Finish Coat: Color Coat Stucco.
1. Color: [As shown on Drawings] [As selected from manufacturer's standard range] [Custom color as selected by Architect].
F. Water: Potable.
A. Fabricate custom designed polystyrene trim shapes using a hot knife or hot wire system.
Part 3 - Execution
A. Examine substrates upon which work will be installed in presence of installer.
1. Verify that surface is structurally sound, clean, free of dust, dirt, paint products, previously applied water repellents, efflorescence or other forms of contamination that could impair bond strength.
B. Coordinate with responsible entity to perform corrective work on unsatisfactory substrates.
C. Commencement of work by installer is acceptance of substrate.
A. Protect adjacent finished surfaces from contact with adhesive and coating materials.
A. Mix adhesive and coating materials with water in accordance with manufacturer's instructions.
A. Polystyrene Foam Trim: Follow adhesive manufacturer's instructions for adhesive application and installation over specific substrates.
B. Base Coat and Reinforcing Mesh:
1. Sand smooth, irregularities between pieces of foam trim in excess of 1/16 inch (2 mm).
2. Follow manufacturer's instructions for 2 coat application to a total thickness of [3/16 to 1/4 inch (5 to 6 mm)] [ _____ inch ( ____ mm)].
3. Embed reinforcing mesh in base coat troweling from center to edge. Lap mesh 2-1/2 inches (63 mm).
4. Curing: Consult manufacturer's representative and comply with recommendations for moist curing during hot, dry or windy weather conditions.
C. Finish Coat: Follow manufacturer's instructions for hand or spray application to a total thickness of approximately 1/8 inch (3 mm) minimum and as required to achieve the following texture:
1. Texture: [Light Lace] [Heavy Lace] [Light Dash] [Medium Dash] [Heavy Dash] [Knockdown Dash] [Santa Barbara (Semi-Smooth)] [Fine Sand Float] [Medium Sand Float] [Heavy Sand Float] [ ______________ ] [As shown on Drawings].
A. Clean spills and spatters before materials are allowed to dry.
B. Remove protective coverings from adjacent surfaces.
C. Keep premises free from accumulation of waste and debris. Upon completion of work, remove surplus materials, waste and debris from site.
End of Section